Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Sudoku

It seems like whenever we come to the UK there is always some kind of trendy craze going on that everyone is talking about! I guess there are so many of us crammed into such a small country that news spreads fast.

Last time we popped back the UK was aglow with the light of a thousand fairies due to the Cricket. I started to wish that I had a quid (£1 or please see Krista's definition of a quid)...for everytime I heard the name Freddie Flintoff (hunky English batsman). The truth is that whenever we start to win at any sport the whole nation is caught up into a delirium. It could be tiddlywinks (sic Krista dictionary)or Straw Basket weaving...if we are winning in an international competition, you'd better expect it to be headline news.

Anyway, you'll be pleased to hear that I have myself been swept up into the latest craze called Sudoku. For those of you unacquainted with this particular method of torture, suffice to say, it is a Japanese puzzle designed to send you a)blind and b) madder than a piece of raw fish.

You have a grid of squares some with numbers in, and you have to fill in the rest so that every line contains the numbers 1 to 9, up and down...and also the squares within the square do the same. There goes my chance to be a quiz show host....no-one could play the game with that lame description.

Anyway, Dave and James have been whiling away the hours in Bath with these mathematical conundrums now found in nearly every paper. They come in varieties a bit like Hot Peppers: a) mild. b) strong c) ulcerating.

So this morning I decided to give my Left Brain Hemisphere a bit of a workout and in fact discover if it even existed after 4 years in TO....I feared it may have withered away and in fact I do walk with a slight lean to the right.

Well I have to say it is splendidly addictive. There were quite a few blank stares and mild panic attacks from me as I started my first one under the watchful eyes of James and Dave....but I did get the hang of it and felt a heady rush as I completed my first one. I think I may have to keep it and frame it.

The secret is talking aloud to yourself. Keeping up a running commentary such as
" six...six...six...here? no...three...or four...could be a seven or a one...one, one one, no can't be a one...could be a two, seven, or nine.." and other such insightful comments.

Other than this shocking new development in my frontal lobes...(just remember I have 23 hours on a plane to kill in a few weeks and take pity)....we have been having a very jolly time with Sarah's lovely parents in Bath.

The horse brutality has been at the very highest standard....and later tonight we are promised pancakes. Last night David palmed off a speaking engagement on me, and so I spent an hour blathering to the Prophetic Group at Bath City Church. Not sure it made a whole lot of sense...but then again they could always ask God for a word of knowledge as to what the subject of my talk was.

Thankfully James is on the hotspot tonight as he is speaking to David and Faith's house group. I can sink into the background...and try and finish off my Sudoku.

God bless the Japanese!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Sarah said...

I would also like to bless the japanese, because they brought us sushi. Salmon sushi, tuna sushi. Sushi with little fish eggs on top, sushi that makes the heart happy. Maybe we could combine sushi and sudoku... sushi with little numbers on that you could move around.. Needless to say I was also infected with the joy of sudoku when in the Uk... p.s. I have recently seen a sudoku book in Canada...

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Krista said...

i would like to first address the definition of:
"light of a thousand fairies" : def. a bright glowing put off into the atmosphere by a great many pretty people (mainly men that are over the top metro sexuals)(these men have no problem with wearing womens underwear or waving wands)
"quid" def. passionate kiss (please read sentance for context)
"tiddlywinks" def. nickname for a clown that has rapid eye blinking syndrome (rebs). can be deabilitating and is chronic, will end the clowns career with children as his audience inevitably ends up petrified of rebs.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Jason said...

Jason's History of Idioms:

Horse Brutality (n.) - Derived from Dok Chow, the ancient Chinese custom of slaughtering one's best horse and serving to most-honored guests from a large communal dish.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous jason said...

Is there somewhere online I can go to play Sudoku? Even with Calculus 3, Economics, and the "Using Numerology to Predict the Rapture" class I am taking, I still have room for more numbers in my life.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

I know! Sudoko is soooo addictive! I even brought a couple of sudoko books with me from England to do here in Canada!

Jason - you can do sudoko online at http://www.lovatts.com.au/sudoku/sudoku.htm

PS. I deleted my previous comment because I had a spelling mistake.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous shannon said...

thanks for the idiom clarification ... was a tad worried ... and confused ...

although pretty much my normal state of being

love your blog dahlink - don't tell anyone but it's the only one i read consistantly. you're just so smart and able to articulate it. (because all of my blogging friends are probably reading this i may choose to remain anonymous ... or cover my a** by saying that ALL of my blogging friends are smart but some can actually articulate the smartness ... and therein lies the difference. or maybe that's worse?)

never mind - who needs friends
heh heh

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Alyn said...

So for the geeks among us (I can't dare to think about using a pencil and paper... shudder) you can get a mac Sukoku widget over here which has the distinct advantage of being free.... Or, over here you can find the Sudoku companion.

Anyway it all appears a little too left brain for me... is there any colouring in involved?

6:17 PM  
Blogger A.J. said...

Ok that's the best laugh I have had in ages except for certain friends comments about other friends not having intelligent blog entries but that's OK because I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!!!!!!
Personally I think these little math puzzle sound like some secret kind of torture! I am highly suspicious about any hidden messages within the numbers that program you to like raw fish in order to boost the Sushi industry or something like that. Now don't laugh the Japanese are very smart they could do it you know!!! Ok now I am tempted to post anonymously incase anyone thinks I am serious about this Japanese malarkey....

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home