Saturday, October 15, 2005

Ten Years On

Hello Cherubs and welcome back to my life.

I am writing to you from the house of Margaret, Richard and Chris in Plymouth, UK where we have been staying for the past 2 nights. Not only are they excellent hosts (hot water bottles at the ready) but this computer is darned fast...they know the way to my heart.

So dear sweeties (I have missed you by the way, and your wonderful comments have warmed the cockles of my heart....which is an ok thing to do and not inappropriate for any of you wondering how exactly that is done)

(I would mention Stuart's comment as one that singularly inspired me to write again....but I can't single out people for mention, can I?)

Anyway, you have missed wonderful momentous and inspiring moments in our lives...like our Tenth Wedding Anniversary (and I think it does deserve capitals....not capital punishment you understand, just capitals).

Yes, Friday the 13th...sorry I mean Friday the 14th October was the big day and Ihave to say we felt quite proud of ourselves for making it to quite so respectable a figure. (And Dave's figure is very respectable in my humble opinion)

Terrible confession - I never quite got around to getting Dave a card. But he did get one for me and managed to write nice things in it which is very advisable behaviour for a husband on an anniversary. (Of course no respectable wife should follow in my forgetful footsteps).

Anyway, I was pondering such matters as our anniversary... and the fact that it coincided with our first day travelling with James...and that it happened to be in Plymouth. As I am wont to do I started to draw all sorts of cool connections between the three.

So, you see the reason we threw up our lives 4 years ago and left Bournemouth for Toronto was because our marriage was in trouble and the big D (not diarrhoea) had been mentioned quite seriously on both sides. Our pastor's wife told us that the only hope for our marriage was to go to the School of Ministry.

We splurged all the nasty particulars of our faults and mistakes onto our SoM applications (mine took me 30 days and 20 pages to complete...Dave did his in 2 hours and 5 pages). I thought that those people at TACF would be discerning enough to stop us going to their lovely school. And I knew if we got in, it had to be God. (Either that or Sarah had a lapse in concentration when reading our forms)

So it was rather fab that on the tenth anniversary we were a) still together, b)still fancing each other and c)that I still find Dave's jokes funny (the same jokes at 10 years ago). And it seemed to me something promising in us starting the next stage of our journey on that very day.

Not only that, but also we were in Plymouth. The place of pioneers - where the Pilgrim Fathers set off for the USA and some other cheeky chappies set off for New Zealand for the first time ever. We saw a plaque down by the harbour which lists the first boats ever to set out from England to New Zealand and one of them was the boat that James' ancestors were on.

We stood on the dock and wondered what had compelled these ordinary people to set off on a dangerous journey to the other side of the world, knowing that they would never see England or their family ever again. (James' reckons that the answer is in the question!).

So as we are about to set off to New Zealand we lay claim to a little bit of that pioneering spirit - although I think 23 hours on a plane is a bit of a breeze compared to months on board ship with nothing to eat except weevils. (Actually that does sound a bit like Air Canada).

All my pretentious ponderings aside, we had a meeting in the morning with some local pastors, lunch at a very nice chinese restaurant (banana fritters - yum!) and then James spoke at the church in the evening on resting in the Father's love. And that was our anniversary.

It's so refreshing to be around James - there is just no pressure to perform! In fact we are hardly doing anything at all! It's strange after TO where we were all-singing, all-dancing....to basically just sit there....sell a few teaching CDs and maybe pray for a few people. When I say strange...I mean fabulous!!!

I'm having some deeply heart-touching moments with Father already and no doubt will be filling you in on those at some point, broadband willing.

So...homeless but happy.
Missing you all like mad.
Excited about the next 10 years.

MWAH,
Adele
xxxx

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is great I'm sure you'd be interested in immune system support glyco phytochemicals It isn't anything special but have a look at immune system support glyco phytochemicals

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Alyn said...

Wow. The above comment has absouletly got to be the worst impersonation of a human leaving a comment on a blog ever. You'd think that with all the progress in artificial intelligence computer scientists have made, they at least be able to make a realistic comment. Like this one for example.

Oh and by the way, have a look at

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Lynley Allan said...

Adele, congrats on your anniversary! I am amazed that you found the place where my ancestors set out to find as new land and a new life. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be alive so I celebrate with you. Missing you like mad, especially this weekend for some reason. Say a big HI to James from me.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Linda Hope said...

Hi Adele,

Thank you for always just sharing your heart in such a way that it warms our hearts and makes us laugh!!

I dont think i could even picture and imagine you and Dave apart...i think that's the Lord's heart speaking...you are so amazing, and I, too, am excited about the next 10 years of your life...hmmm, i will the 33 - Jesus's age...cool!

I love you i love you i love you...missing you like crazy and wanting to cry everytime i think about it...in other news...Mr. Pig, Mr. Cow and Miss Baa say hello...

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Mr Pants said...

Terrible confession – we didn't get round to getting you both a card, as we didn't realise. Sorry – and many congrats!
Honest postings that cost you a lot to publish, deserve an equal reward in thanks given from your readers. So, here's mine.
By the way, did you know Devon is also famous for Sabine Baring-Gould? – and I bet you don't know who he is. (no Googling to find out!)
Plymouth also well known for the Famous Windy Ridge Fish and Chip Co – but if you'd expect a windy ridge if you ate so much batter!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

Hi Adele,
Many Congratulations on your anniversary. I'm so glad that you did go to TO 4 years ago and am really excited for your future!
Love you and miss you loads xxx

2:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Adele, that's incredible!!! all the connections that is! Congratulations!

We miss you LOTS! Thanks for blogging, it's so nice to hear about your travels.

Love you lots,
Laura.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Laura Bournemouth said...

Love you mate. Congrats on the anniversary. Can't believe how quick thats gone! Mind you I'm not the one married to Dave!!!

By the way who's the other Laura?

Snogs
L

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Krista Wendle said...

weevils:
a small creature found in small spaces with lots of humans that grows to be the size of a quarter. when fried- or burnt- provides a small (very small) amount of protein and it is known that many an immigrant on their way to new lands survived on this small creature.
.or.
a small growth that is found on humans when they are confined to small spaces. can be lopped off with amazing efficiency and minimal bleeding and when cooked provides excellent source of protein.

1:55 PM  
Blogger A.J. said...

First I would like to say somehow my Congrats comment from Texas this weekend didn't register I guess unless the high and mighty "system administrator" got rid of me! You can't get rid of me I am to loud and obnoxious by half! Anyway, I am so happy for you! I am also somewhat disturbed by Krista's little addition (Umm .. YUCK!) and wondering more and more what she hides in her Salsa. Much love to you both and please give Dave and hug for me and then make sure you get one back from me too.... remarkable really so little effort on my part and yet hugs are a flying! :-)

10:34 PM  
Blogger Adele Richards said...

My goodness, we'll definitely have to stay married for another ten years just so I can get a ton of comments on my blog!!! Of course by then Blogs will be ancient history and we'll be beaming our thoughts directly into one another's heads without the need for the Internet.

So in response to your comments...

Lynley - you Kiwis are so fab and was great to be in such a significant place...miss you too...please email me.

Mr Pants - Thanks and don't worry about the card. Have no idea who that chap is. Thanks for the warning about windiness.

Laura is Lovely Laura W. from Toronto, but originally from Scotland.

Laura from Bournemouth is
Laura T. who came and visited us twice in TO to shed her twinkliness and funsome person.

Krista - if you could similarly annotate all my postings with your dictionary definitions it would help everybody a lot.

Also...hello to Cho, Ash, Alyn, AJ and the great guys at immune system support glyco phytochemicals....gosh I love blogging!
xxx

5:46 PM  
Blogger Andrew G said...

i feel as if I've just been born again Adele! What a wonderful blog; many congrats on the 10 years!

blessing your marriage today and i remember 116:

O no! [love's] an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home