Sunday, November 13, 2005

Life in Toe-paw

G'day mate owsitgoing? Fancy a pie?

As you can see I am turning into a native...and have even managed to pronounce some of the place names correctly. The proper way to say Taupo is apparently Toe-Paw....which I can only remember by doing the actions. Namely twiddling my toe and then turning my hands into paws....I think it could catch on here.

It's been an absolutely stunning week here with temperatures up around 25-30 degrees celsius...and the views across the lake to the snow capped mountains have been amazing. Meanwhile we've been dashing around trying to sort out all sorts of glamorous things for our big move...like getting the electricity turned on, gas connected, internet hooked up, mortgage approved, and all that good stuff. Yes, having seen the house for the first time last Saturday we are now set to move in this Thursday! I know, I know, it's crazy stuff...but you all know that Dave is a human dynamo and I just tag along for the ride.

It's quite bizarre to be moving into a house when all we currently possess is 2 suitcases. We've been trolling round all the furniture stores in town and making the salemen's eyes light up by mentioning that we need an awful lot of things....
True to form Dave has been negotiating some good deals for us, but things are pretty expensive here...not sure how that happened!

So far we have a very nice sleigh bed (woah there Rudolph)...(Stu and Lynley, it's from the same people as your bed...in Rimu)...some bedside drawers, a couple of chests of drawers, 2 bookcases and some deck furniture. Sounds pretty good till you start to add up that we also need...a fridge, something to sit on, a washing machine, a wardrobe, a TV, kettle, iron, loobrushes, a mirror, cleaning supplies, hairdryer, pans, plates, cutlery....in short just about everything. It's very bizarre starting over with absolutely nothing...not to mention expensive! Maybe I'll just have to pop over to the neighbours to borrow a cup of sugar.... and an ironing board!

Meanwhile, to get some light relief from the purchasing frenzy...we were very excited to find out that the movie Flightplan has finally come out here. In fact we dashed to the cinema on opening night. We were running a little late and I started to worry thinking that we wouldn't be able to get any seats.

Fortunately they were showing the movie in the biggest cinema. Oh, and only 6 other people turned up.

Yep, there were 8 of us in the cinema for the opening night of Jodie Foster's Flightplan. It was the most charming old-fashioned cinema with all the old theatre seats. And the adverts! Nothing moving I assure you. Somebody with an eye for using lots of different fonts had created a sheet with some basic info on the advertising company which was projected on the screen...complete with crackly spots and lines. Then the voiceover, "Come to Taupo Furniture...it's great for Furniture and it's based in Taupo"

Dave and I were trying not to giggle.

Anyway, all that aside I thought Flightplan was totally fab. I sat completely tense throughout the whole thing. Now I need a chiropractor.

Other surprising things about living in Toe Paw (let's see those actions!) are that the shops shut on the dot of 5pm. If you drive through at 5.05pm you start to wonder if you've missed the rapture. And on Saturdays, most of the shops shut at 1pm. On a Saturday! It's country living for sure!

So that's what we've been up to....oh, and missing you lot, OBVIOUSLY. When are you coming again? xx

5 Comments:

Anonymous Alyn said...

Oh my giddy aunt. I think I just died reading your comments about the advertisements at the cinema. My first attempt I just burst into laughter. Then AJ came into the room to see what I was laughing about... then I tried again... this time it was accompanied by tears... patiently AJ waits to see what is wrong with her husband. By the fifth attempt I got it out and was now howling with laughter.

"Come to Taupo Furniture...it's great for Furniture and it's based in Taupo"

Awww Adele - you just crack me up!

3:49 AM  
Anonymous Mr Pants said...

I thought it was only Jesus who was coming again.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Mr Pants said...

If 'po' is prounounced 'paw', then do you teach a dog to shake its po?

4:39 PM  
Blogger Linda Hope said...

Adele, i was giggling from start to finish! Especially the parts where i wiggled my toes and made a paw with my hands, joining the fun of course!!

It sounds crazy, but crazy good!! You are a home decor queen, and your king has good sense to go along with his good-tasted queen, so i know your place will look absolutely stunning!!

Ahhh, i wish i was in Toe Paw right now...where'd you say i could meet my hunky kiwi??

Love,
Linda

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Lynley said...

Just to let you know I have read your blog. Happy sleeping in your Rimu slay...

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home