Sunday, November 27, 2005

Mammal mia!

It's non-stop excitement here. We've just seen a possum at the gym!

I mean it wasn't actually IN the gym doing press ups or anything. It was outside the window. An insomniac possum wandering around outside and nibbling on the greenery.

This is very exciting as previously the only possums I have seen have been squished ones on the side of the road.

They are also nocturnal so this one looked very sleepy and was moving in slow motion. Those of you who've had trouble sleeping lately (and hence have been calling/emailing me in the wee hours of your morning :-) for me :-( for you) - you will be able to relate to the feeling.

He was impossumly cute and hence less time was spent with me leaping about on gym machines and more with my nose pressed up against the glass watching the little critter.

He kind of looks like a mixture of a large mouse, small cat, tiny kangaroo with a racoon's bottom...oh and a fluffy tail.

Perhaps it was in fact a sighting of Reepicheek from Narnia...


Interesting fact about possums:
"Playing Possum" is one of the most effective ways the possum defends itself. When unable to flee, extreme fear places the possum into an involuntary coma. They become stiff and their mouths will gape open. This condition will last 40 minutes to 4 hours. Most predators will abandon their attack, once the possum is thought to be dead.

We have so much in common....

4 Comments:

Anonymous Alyn said...

Thanks Adele for the photo - do you have your camera everywhere you go? If so, my plans of turning you into the world's trendiest geek are working (insert evil laugh here).

I feel I can now rest as one of my childhood traumas has now had closure. When I lived in New Zealand (did you know that I did?) my mum and dad would often cry out "Possum!" while driving along the country roads (are there any other kinds of road in NZ?). Of course not having the fastest reactions as a 2 or 3 year old I would miss seeing the possum everytime and would then wail and cry.

So I have never seen a possum - until now. Thank you Adele!

PS - as it's 3.47am EST I think I can relate to the poor dazed possum... yawn - back to sleep I think

8:49 AM  
Blogger Adele Richards said...

Dear Alyn, can you see any trampolines in this picture?

I would just like to clarify that I don't take my camera to the gym. In fact I felt myself rise to higher heights of geekdom by finding the picture of the possum on a website and nicking it.

This is not the actual possum that I saw...just an example of a possum. Seeing as you are writing at a ridiculous hour I will take mercy on you.

Also your heart rending story of never seeing the possum. I didn't know you lived here....tell me more!

Oh and while I'm at it, Stuart and Lynley don't think you can get away without writing some kind of Possum story.....

xx

8:53 PM  
Anonymous shannon said...

As I mentioned previously, I am trying to keep up. Truly, I am.

Alyn - you hysterical man. Such a story of sadness. And so much being made clear about you now ...

And ... YOU LIVED IN NZ?! shocking. Truly (my new favourite word, have you noticed? I've used it twice in this comment, so far ...)shocking. (my old favourite word)

You're a bit like AJ (as so aptly described by Adele in this very blog) in that you seem to insert these truly interesting facts about yourself subtly and randomly into conversation (or blog-ersation as the case may be) ... Perhaps you should come with a manual that one could peruse prior to meeting you, thus relieving the shock factor. I *know* AJ should have one.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Adele Richards said...

That's it. Shannon has spoken. It must be so.

I commission 2 manuals for Mr & Mrs Jones...

EXCELLENT idea.

xx

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home