Saturday, December 03, 2005

Oh dam!

Fear not friends, I have not transmogrified into a foul-mouthed fiend. I am referring to an actual dam.

It's Saturday and what do you do on a sunny Saturday in December? You go and watch them open the dam, obviously!

It was quite exciting and as the floodgates opened and the water poured forth, a delightful odour of rotten eggs filled the air...

DAVE?!?!

No, no, it was the water. It being a volcanic region here the water smells slightly sulphurous. This is a scratch n sniff posting. So if you scratch your armpit and sniff.....you should be able to tell if you remembered to put deodorant on this morning.

Here are some piccies (not of armpits...the armpit is not a very attractive part of the body generally is it? I've always thought it would be an advantage in life to have beautiful armpits. Could be worse. I could be French)

I couldn't resist taking a photo of the signpost.
a) because I can't pronounce or spell the name of the dam
b) because I still think it's so freaky to see the seasons reversed

In the last photo, the small specks on the right-hand side are people.

After this exciting episode we wandered into town for a latte at our favourite cafe Replete and then got caught up in a Christmas parade. It is quite bizarre to see the floats go past with small children dressed up as santa while standing in the midday sun worrying that you'll be burnt to a frazzle within minutes. One of the most common Christmas symbols here in Taupo...represented on the floats and also in the Christmas lights around town...is, wait for it, the trout. Yes, there are lots of very festive looking trout in lights around town. That's not trout in tights...that would be even weirder.



4 Comments:

Blogger Ash said...

Wow Adele! Those rapids are so gorgeous! Thanks for taking photos of them! They are just sooo amazing!

Love you loads and loads,
Ash :)

4:14 AM  
Anonymous jason said...

if i visit you can we go sledging on that or a similar river. it is so inviting...i just want to jump in.

2:39 PM  
Blogger A.J. said...

for myself I know that I can't help but feel festive when I see a trout!
And let's not forget those good old Christmas Classics:
Jingle Trout
All I want for Christmas is some rainbow trout
Silent Trout, Holy Trout
I'll be trout for Christmas
and other such classics!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

i like armpits.

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home