Sunday, December 04, 2005

A trip to the seaside

Hello beloveds! Today we wagged church and set off to the seaside. To Napier in particular.

Napier is about 2 hours drive from Taupo (1.5 for Dave) and is renown as the Art Deco town. It was massively destroyed by an earthquake and fire in 1931 and so was re-built, not in the 60s as most concrete jungles seem to be, but in the Art Deco period. It just so happens to be one of my favourite styles.

Anyway it was a tad cloudy in Taupo when we left for our winding drive through the hills and forests of the Waikato Region, but was an absolute clear-skied scorcher in Napier. (31 degrees c) I kept re-applying my factor 30 every 15 minutes or so in a slightly paranoid fashion. With my fair skin I could look more wrinkled than our leather couch by the end of the day.

Napier has a real holiday feel about it and the sea today was an amazing green colour. I went and paddled in it for a bit before retreating back to the shade.

The Art Deco buildings are pretty nice but not in particularly good condition.....still, we are saving ourselves for a proper tour until my parents arrive. My mum is an art expert (amongst other things) and we are looking forward to her educating us. There was a gorgeous building in great nick on the way out of town, but we were zooming too fast (towards the vineyard) for me to get a photo.











Anyway this is all very well, but let me tell you the MOST exciting news.
THEY HAVE A STARBUCKS IN NAPIER.

Holy Moly, were we excited or what? The first time we had seen our former home for several months.....so we rushed in and bought a couple of iced gingerbread lattes. I bet none of you in Canada have done that! They were pretty nice, but we missed our TO Starbucks pals all the more.....







Anyway now we are back home, Dave's BBQing again and of course I am blogging. Same old, same old.

Tomorrow our boxes arrive from Auckland so we will finally be re-united with our knick knacks. The knick knacks that ended up costing about 3 times more to ship than we anticipated.....ho hum.

I am excited to get back:

a) the Mac cleaner so I can clean my screen
b) our mirrors (none in this house)
c) my books
d) clothes!
e) all our knick knacks, lamps etc so we can make this place more homey....
f) our DVDs - esp. the Seinfeld and Friends ones

and everything else of course.

No doubt you will hear more from me on this subject.

Meanwhile, I know you have ALL done the colour test by now, so don't be shy....email me your results.
By the way, am I really meddlesome???

9 Comments:

Blogger Joy said...

I love the fact that you found a Starbucks...oh the small things in life that bring us joy...at least you now know where to find a good cup of coffee

4:40 AM  
Blogger A.J. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:55 PM  
Blogger A.J. said...

I have to disagree with Joy.... St Arbucks is not a small thing it is a absolute necessity! It's that little green sign and those frothy drinks that make you feel like it's going to be ok no matter where you are in the world... it's a little piece of home! (Yes, Yes, I am joining Starbucks Anonymous immediately)
I think the thing I like best about this post tit there are pictures with you guys in them! It looks lovely and warm down there.... will it still be warm in March? :-)

3:57 PM  
Anonymous shannon said...

sorry aj ?

the thing you like best about this post tit?

6:56 PM  
Anonymous shannon said...

here are my results. ummm ... hilariously inacurate, except for the 'able to achieve ...' well, you know.

Your Existing Situation

Dissatisfied. The need to escape continued involvement with her present circumstances makes it imperative for her to find some solution.

Your Stress Sources

Eager to make a good impression, but worried and doubtful about the likelihood of succeeding. [that one is downright hysterical] Feels that she has a right to anything she might hope for, and becomes helpless and distressed when circumstances go against her. Finds the mere possibility of failure most upsetting and this can even lead to nervous prostration. [i'm sorry? nervous prostration?! LOL!] Sees herself as a 'victim' who has been misled and abused, mistakes this dramatization for reality and tries to convince herself that her failure to achieve standing and recognition is the fault of others. [Christian just about wet himself when he saw that one]

Your Restrained Characteristics

Remains emotionally unattached even when involved in a close relationship. Feels that she cannot do much about her existing problems and difficulties and that she must make the best of things as they are. Able to achieve satisfaction from sexual activity. [and what a relief that is]

Your Desired Objective

Needs to feel identified with someone or something and wishes to win support by her charm and amiability. Sentimental and yearns for a romantic tenderness.

Your Actual Problem

Disappointment and the fear that there is no point in formulating fresh goals have led to anxiety, and she is distressed by the lack of any close and understanding relationship. She attempts to escape into a substitute world in which things are more nearly as she desires them to be. [kind of sounds like i'm crazy, doesn't it?]

Your Actual Problem #2

Depleted vitality has created an intolerance for any further stimulation, or demands on her resources. This feeling of powerlessness subjects her to agitation and acute distress. She attempts to escape into a substitute world in which things are more nearly as she desires them to be.

Probably I should stop choosing black as my primary comfort colour and stop leaving yellow to the end ...

7:09 PM  
Blogger A.J. said...

You know I had to delete it the first time for spelling errors.... Unfortunately "tit" isn't a spelling error so it didn't pick it up and neither did I!! Shocking!

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Lynley said...

All I have to say about visiting Starbucks in Napier with out me is.....sniff....I love you and miss you! When I was in sales, I travelled to Napier every 5 weeks and did the rounds. It seemed runned down even then so I guess not much has changed except SB's of couse.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

AJ...I am not a starbucks person I enjoy Carbou but you guys don't have that in Canada or NZ so I had to make do with starbucks...but Adele get enjoyment any way you can...

9:17 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

Hi Adele,

Has your stuff arrived now?

Love you xxx

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home