Friday, January 27, 2006

I now have (at a conservative estimate)..

...about 43,592 more freckles than I did an hour ago.

Ahh the smouldering NZ sun has done it's work and in 5 years time I may be as wrinked as a prune. But it was worth it.

I've just had the perfect end to a fairly average day (spent cranking out radio commercials....ahem I mean carefully crafting commercials persuading the UK public to buy more beer and have a bikini wax. Not necessarily at the same time. Although...)

Anyway. It's been hot. I've been staring at a computer screen so much this week that I have burst blood vessels in my eye. And I couldn't be bothered to go to the gym or on a bike ride as I did yesterday. (The hill back up to our house leaves me dizzy and panting....not a good look in a cul de sac).

Still I wanted to get out of the house....so I decided to pop on my swimming cossie and go for my first swim in the lake.

There's something very Kiwi about driving around in nowt but your swimming cossie and a pair of (yes, flirty) flip flops.

So I pull up and park at the lake. Now as I am on a solo trip/mission to the lake I have to hide the car keys unaccompanied in the towel on the lakeshore. This makes my paranoia wake up and scratch it's head. You know the same paranoia that kicks in when you switch off the iron, unplug it, put it in a cupboard, leave the house and lock the door. Then start to worry that you've left the iron on. Or is that just me?

Anyway, paranoia dictates that there may be some evil thief casing the lakeshore, looking for an unsuspecting solo swimmer who is about to leave the keys to her husband's BMW unattended in a towel. (My parents have borrowed my car to visit an old friend in Tauranga)

But I haven't been watching Alias for nothing. I pull up 100 yards away from the area I intend to swim so that anyone surveilling the area (perhaps K Directorate) won't see that I am driving the Beemer.

I look around to see if anyone is watching me. Sadly several groups have noted my arrival. But they are mostly under 8 years of age...

So I quickly slide away from the Beemer (my exit somewhat slowed by the fact that I have to check that all doors are locked by pulling at the handles. Yes the paranoia is strong with this one....)

Anyway, I make it to the beach, surreptiously hide the keys in the towel and put my flip flops ON THE TOP! Ha! That'll outsmart any potential thieves!

Then I stride into the icy waters of the lake.

OHHOLYGOODGRIEFITHINKMYLUNGS JUSTEXPLODED

Breathe. Breathe.

Ahhh. Ok.

It's quite nice once you get used to it.

And then all of a sudden it's TOTALLY fabulous.

OHMYGOSH I'm swimming in a lake surrounded by mountains, rolling green hills...and it is divine.

I could have swum and swum and swum. But of course I had to keep my eye on the towel AT ALL TIMES.

Just in case you understand.

Although what exactly I would have done if I'd spotted a criminal with a black stocking on his head riffling through my towel....while I was about 200 yards out in the lake....

Ok. So this post was just to brag that I've finally got around to swimming in the lake.

By the way I have noticed of late that there have been VERY few comments on my blog. This is very demoralising for the blogger...so I plead with you dear friends. If you have been here, just leave me a little hello. Even if you can't think of anything to say except. "Huh, Freckles. Weird".

11 Comments:

Anonymous Alyn said...

Huh, Freckles. Weird

9:11 AM  
Blogger Vernie said...

Freckles, camouflage aren't they?

1:23 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Gorgeous I'll get my cossie.

1:55 PM  
Blogger A.J. said...

If you get enough frcekles the should all blend together and become...da da daa! Perma Tan!

2:05 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

I would like to point out at this time, that when all the invitations to come to New Zealand were made, the idyllic picture painting of swimming in the lake, there was NO mention of FREEZING coldness... in fact, I would even go as far to say that I was led to believe that the waters might actually be balmy...
: )
love you
xx

2:16 PM  
Blogger s@bd said...

If I had a nickle for every time someone told me my freckles would blend together to form a nice tan ...

And, I'm here to tell ya: alcohol (preferably in large quantities) is the ONLY WAY to get a bikini wax. (Hmmm ... reminds me of the time AJ went with MJ and I to get her ONE HAIR removed. But that's a whole other blog.)

And maybe more people would leave comments if they weren't attempting to choke back their jealous rage. In fact, I'm surprised you don't get more comments like, 'MMMMRHGHHEM' and 'NOOOOOARMMMGNMNEEM'.

I mean, BMW? Rolling hills? Flirty Flip Flops?! Where will it end?! I think I have to go read my Bible or something.

2:18 PM  
Blogger weegeemcschuler said...

jealous

3:19 PM  
Blogger Adele Richards said...

Aha! I knew blackmail would work....a very pleasing amount of comments- thank you. A special hello to Vernie who should definitely have his own blog cos his blogger profile is fantastic.

And yes, Shannon, I too have received the freckles comment many times before....we redheads are very misunderstood.

And Sarah - really, it's lovely once you get over the initial permafrost...

Sorry about the jealousy factor. Just keep remembering one of the following:
a) God IS calling you to move here too

or

b) It's a very beautiful place with NOBODY here...why do you think I keep doing things ALONE?

Ahem.

Not complaining really.

xx

9:02 PM  
Anonymous LA said...

grHaaa haa ha haaaa haaaa I have been cracking up at your jump into the lake, and remembering the thousands of times I have stopped breathing after jumping into the icing waters of an NZ lake. Also the classic comment...it's great once you get used to it!!! So true and such a kiwi thing to say, I love it.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Mimo said...

>>Then I stride into the icy waters of the lake.

OHHOLYGOODGRIEFITHINKMYLUNGS JUSTEXPLODED

Breathe. Breathe.

Ahhh. Ok.<<

Feels like one was there! You write SO WELL!! Adele

HuhFrecklesWeird ;)

10:22 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

Thanks for the wonderful comments about the lake...it makes me wish that I was in a warm place however a trp to mexico is comming very soon and then I will be on a beach and swimming with the fishes.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home