Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I've got a sow about to farrow

Ah life in the country. It never ceases to amaze and delight.

There are so many wonderful country phrases that I am picking up, I can hardly wait to share them with you.

Of course as soon as I hear one I have to write it down, memorise it and then drop it into as many conversations as I can.

It seems that most country sayings are to do with animals having sex. Either that or giving birth.

And so I am constantly peppering my conversation with punchy little phrases like this,

"I would stay for tea with you Denise, but I've got a bitch in whelp and I must dash."

Or to Dave:

"No, we can't stay for a barbie, you know very well it's time to crutch the hoggets."

Can you believe I'm not even making this stuff up?

Tracey the horse woman has to get back to the UK in March because she has to lamb her ewes.

>>"I've got to lamb my ewes!" <<

I am simply dying to use this phrase.

I also learned about sheep TUPPING today. This is releasing a randy ram in amongst the sheep (presumably once they've had their hoggets crutched.)

Sheep tupping.

It really makes you wonder about Tupperware doesn't it?

By the way, in case you were wondering, to crutch a hogget is to remove the dags from a sheep's backside. The dags being the bits of wool encrusted with, er, well that stuff that Shannon has to deal with a lot from Bokker.

I can't tell you HOW delighted I am to be acquiring all these exciting new phrases. But perhaps they aren't new to you. Perhaps you are always chitchatting in Starbucks about your whelping bitch.

Meanwhile in even more exciting news...I have my own car! And in keeping with the theme of this post it is a 4WD RAV. I haven't had my very own wheels in over 4 years so I am very excited.

There are pics below of me and my countrified car....me and the horses that I rode the other day. (Did I mention that I can now mount and ride a bareback horse? Yessirree Bob I can). Also the view from the top of Tauhara - the 'hill' behind our house. Oh and a pic of Harley up a tree. Again, definitely showing anti-Harrison tendencies.

Got to dash, I've got a sow about to farrow....




8 Comments:

Anonymous Laura said...

WOW lets swap cars!!! Cute doggie or should I say mutt?

6:23 PM  
Blogger The Fabulist said...

Lovely Laura - you come over here and I'll let you drive my RAV. Cute mutt is Poppy - James & Denise' dog. She's so ugly she's cute.
xx

7:11 PM  
Blogger s@bd said...

ENOUGH WITH THE PICTURES.

Sorry, did I say that out loud?

What I meant was, 'wow, you live in such a beautiful place and you drive such a nice car and you look so relaxed and fabulous.'

Actually, what I really meant was: NO FAIR. ENOUGH WITH THE PICTURES. I WANT TO SEE YOU IN MY OWN MIND WITH BAD HAIR (as if it's possible) WALKING YOUR BIKE WITH A BROKEN WHEEL, BEATING OFF ENORMOUS BUGS, IN TIE-DYED JEANS AND NOT BEING ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THE NATIVES. (At least the last part's true.)

8:09 PM  
Blogger The Fabulist said...

S - would it help if I told you I was sitting in a bright green heavily patterend oriental dressing gown which is about 3 sizes too big for me...with jam around my mouth?

Besides there is definitely enough room in this gorgeous country for your entire tribe...so I think you should just move here and quit yer whingeing...

(also one way to escape from those fiendish energy people)

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I have to say that i think the picture with Harley up a tree is a hoax. Do you see how tall that tree is? No natural cat would be up there. I suspect you may accidentally have adopted a possum. The kind that play dead. Or it is a hoax. The picture should be sent to Alyn Jones for arbitration.
: )
Am jealous of bareback horseriding. What else will you be doing when I arrive? Sheep shearing?

9:39 PM  
Blogger s@bd said...

Yes. YES IT WOULD HELP.
Although ... I think you're lying.

My mother just finished praying my brother and his family back from the East Coast. I'm thinking she'd be fasting for the rest of her life if we up and moved to New Zealand.

3:59 AM  
Blogger weegeemcschuler said...

ooo err Mrs. Quite the dictionary defining season you are in me dearie! Those Kiwis speak a different labguage to them there Devonshire folk then!
Quite jealous of the bareback horse riding - it's like a whle new adventure - is it turning out to be very you??
SOunds like fun for sure. I admittedly miss being in *$$ bitching about the whelps ???

7:05 PM  
Blogger A.J. said...

Yo Yo Yo (that's Brooklyn street for hi) Just trying to keep you cultured! :-)

Thrilled for you about the car... it look very you!
We haven't managed to do much bitching about whelps or any other thing recently at Starbucks but I feel inspired... perhaps when we get home we can hook up with Sarah and give it a try!

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home