Friday, January 27, 2006

Seven years ago...

..I was recruited by SD-6 a secret branch of the CIA. I was sworn to secrecy, but I couldn't keep it from my fiance. When Arvin Sloane, head of SD-6 found out about my fiance - he had him killed. That's when I discovered that SD-6 was not a branch of the CIA but I was in fact working for the very people against whom I thought I had been working. So I went to the only place that could help me - the CIA. Now I am a double agent working for the CIA inside SD-6. And the only other double agent inside SD- is a man I hardly know.....my father.


These are the words that start every episode to the first series of Alias. I know them off by heart because I have watched 19 episodes so far this week.

Yes I have been sucked into the Alias maelstrom that many years ago swept Stuart, Lynley, Jenni, and AJ off their feet.

For years I have watched them exchange 'intel' about when the next episode is on. I have surveilled them whipping up into a frenzy about the season finales.

And yet with no fear for my own safety I asked Dave for the DVD set for Christmas.

That was my first mistake.

Since then I have entered a world where Jennifer Garner and her chiselled cheekbones routinely slip into some lycra-type costume, pops on a wig and high kicks her way through a barrage of machine gun fire. Only to escape unscathed. Miraculous.

They are on the hunt for some Garibaldi artifacts. No wait. Isn't that a type of biscuit? I think I mean Gumbaldi...no, Rumbaldi...or some such improbable 15th century prophet who foresaw a whole bunch of groovy things that the baddies hope mean they can kill more people faster and make more money doing so. It's terribly simple being a baddie. Everything comes down to cash.

Meanwhile poor old Jennifer (aka Sydney Bristow) has to walk a moral tightrope the entire time. This results in lots of pained expressions from her and the perpetually pained CIA 'handler' who so clearly wants to snog her face off.

Anyway, despite the fact that it is the most ludicrously conceived plot ever, she would definitely have died 83 times by now if this were real life...and no one can explain to me how she has managed to learn at least 10 languages fluently by the age of 23....it is absolutely addictive.

Just ask AJ or Lynley. Although they are probably running for the DVD selection right now.....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Alyn said...

I (in a similar vein to the Mac vs. PC snobbery) shunned Alias for the more superior 24. Of course, this was before I was married to little miss Alias. It was then pointed out by Stuart Allan (he so wise) that perhaps I could learn to like it so me and my wife could watch it with him and his wife (wow my sentence structure is so poor).

Anyway, I watched the first season in a oner (on my little laptop in Marmac while all the student weren't allowed to watch TV/DVDs/etc) and then got hooked.

Now I need to return the favour and get AJ hooked on 24. Hurrah!

9:14 AM  
Blogger A.J. said...

Alias rocks.... I can't believe you don't think it's believable. Personally I spend an enormous amount of time high kicking my way out of bars, speaking at least 10 languages and accomplishing impossible feats of acrobatics and espionage. If you are not doing all of this what are you doing over there in NZ? Playing with Harley and swimming in a pretty lake? Try high kicking Harley that would be a step in the right direction! :-)

2:12 PM  
Blogger s@bd said...

The only thing C&I watch together is West Wing. And it's ending soon.
Otherwise, we're completely AT ODDS with the whole TV thing. (which goes right along with us being polar opposites and everything)

He likes freaky sci-fi stuff like Star Trek and Smallville.
I like The Block and Bathroom Divas.

You can see the problem, can't you?

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Stuart said...

Ahhhh....... welcome Padawan.....

Now that you have become enlightened there is a whole new world of conversation.

Lynley has adopted Sidney as a role model and now subjects me to high kicks in all kinds of situations..... maybe it's a pregancy thing.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Mimo said...

Just watched two days ago the episode where Vaughn proposed to Sydney..Niiiice.

Just wondering where my Vaughn is..

10:29 PM  
Blogger Mimo said...

ohh dikes I hope I didn't just reveal something there that you haven't watched yet! I don't follow so often so have no clue how manieth episode that was.

One should think before one speaks..yep.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home