Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Frog is Dead

Well my friends I can keep you in suspenders no longer.

The truth will out.

I am officially....(drum roll)

UP THE DUFF.

Or to put it another way....

I have a bun in the oven.

Also, I am knocked up. In the family way.

For those a bit slow on the uptake....I am low with child.

Yes....in 9 months less 8 weeks (you do the maths) we will have a bouncing baby Davie or Adelette. How can the word be so lucky to get more of us? Amazing.

See this is what happens when you take the Bible literally. "Go forth and multiply."

Yes so this blog is about to turn into a catalogue of preggers woman moans and complaints. I could even create some kind of chart of how often I throw up for you. Hmmm? Now that is worth tuning in for surely.

The old morning sickness is in full force...with much paleness and clutching of the belly from me....much sympathy from Sarah....and a wanton display of retch-inducing sardine sandwiches from Dave.

So far the cravings are mostly for that most noble of foods....the POTATO.

Also, a strange affinity for the Flame Grilled Whopper.

It must be a boy surely - it is hooked on junk food already.

And as for sugar - GACK - keep your sugary sweet things away from me. My life-long passion for chocolate is on the back burner. The very back of the back burners. Who would ever have guessed such a thing?

Well I should say in amongst this rather tacky way of announcing the creation of a new eternal soul....that we are very delighted!

Now if only I could work out how it happened......

p.s in reference to the title...when I told Denise the glad tidings thanks to the pregnancy test (you need a degree to understand the 53 different windows....'if it's a blue rhomboid you are pregnant....but if it is a pink hectagon you have gout..') she told me that there were no such things as pregnancy tests in her day. You had to go to the doctor and have a 'frog test'. In this the doctor injected your urine into a frog. If the frog died then it meant you were pregnant. Apparently women would announce to their husbands....'the frog is dead' and all would be clear.

This made me wonder about those women who wanted to find out if they were pregnant without going to the doctor. I wonder if there was a black market for frogs? Lots of women secretly weeing on a frog's head to see if it died. Intriguing...

Compared to all that, Clearblue was a doddle.

17 Comments:

Blogger A.J. said...

Yippeee.... yahoo.......

OK enough excitement for right now as it is late at night and I am exhausted! Question though: do you think if I got Alyn pregnant his cravings for chocolate would go down? I mean if we did get HIM pregnant that would be the least of our concerns but still... I wonder....

verification word: manebr ... reminds me of that mountain of doom thingie you were on about not long ago!

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Alyn said...

Yahoo! No, not the search engine, but a squeel of delight! Davey and Adele-y well done! I fink it's bloomin' brilliant.

And perhaps I am pregnant... that would explain me losing the tickets, missing the flights and forgetting which day it is.

We love you and we're thrilled!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Linda Hope said...

NO FLIPPIN WAY!! HOLY JESUS MOTHER OF GOD!! THIS IS SO EXCITING!!!


OH MY GOSH< I WANT TO CRY!! I WANT TO CRY!! I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY>>>>MY VOCAB IS STUCK>>>I JUST WANT TO CRY!!

OH MY GOSH!! OH MY GOSH!! I CANT BREATH< I CAN"T BREATH!!! HOLY LORD THIS IS AMAZING!! HOLY LORD< OH LORD!!

WWWWWHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa

The saddest thing is i am over here, and you are all the way over there!! I can't even offer my top-o-da-line babysitting services!! OH MY LORD!! THIS IS WONDERFUL...I THINK I AM GOING TO FAINT!!

DAVE AND ADELE YOU WILL HONESTLY BE THE BEST PARENTS!! WOW!! So So SO SO SO happy for you!! OH, where do i book my ticket??

6:21 AM  
Blogger chirobiro said...

WOW, WOW, WOW !!

How amazing!!! congratulations to you both. XXXXX

The frog is dead ! long live the frog...

Just plain gobsmaked really. To think you were only just fertilised and implanting ( probably) last time i saw you, or hang on...... there are two extra weeks added on to pregnacy aren't there??? so GOODNESS knows what what going on 6 weeks ago ( oooh err!! (made in the UK !)

SO much love and congratulations to you both

Fee
xxxx

PS Due date pleas ???
xx

10:53 AM  
Blogger s@bd said...

Oh Adele - now your blog will be even more fabulous.

(And that's all that matters, really.)

Of course, feel free to read my blog for lots of great parenting tips.



Seriously: wonderful, wonderful news.

1:43 PM  
Blogger s@bd said...

And I was TOTALLY IN LOVE with the Whopper when I was pregnant with Sadie. And now I can't even think about Burger King without shuddering.

1:45 PM  
Blogger weegeemcschuler said...

Yee haa lng live the names RICHARDS! By that of course, I do not mean that thou shalt have a boy thus sayeth the Lord but rather that yeah a wee sproggie has been formed and a wee froggie died to confirm it (ah ha yes I know, Dave probably forced a plastic bottle in you hand upon hearing Denise's myth just to test it - true huh??)
The biggest congratulations to you both (of course I got the e-mail so am over the initial stunned woopie and now on a more oh isn't this great and wonderful type comments.
As for the potatoe - ah yes da potaaaaaatooooooo - what more could an Irish girl ask for than keeping her country's economy alive - long live the potato and oh of course die die nasty morning sickness that I know nothing about and hopefully won't for say..at least 12 months and more :0)
Congrats congrats congrats -

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Krista said...

Please see blog entry: "prosperity gospel" for my official response to this most amazing news. :) yay!!!!!!!!!!! name suggestions: Sunshine Happiella.
Blessed Ramoutou
Sanctified Holiness
Honor Rainbow.
Krista Marie
Krista SarahAnn
Comfort Ramotswe
Jordan Scandinavia
I can come up with more upon request. . . .

6:02 PM  
Blogger Adele Richards said...

Er, to clarify....babe is definitely Made in NZ and due end of September....
xx

p.s Shannon...what is about BK and pregnant women...? spooky...

9:06 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Adele, finally I am able to log in and publish a comment!!! after days of being thwarted!

Congratulations!!!!! happy, happy news. I'm so excited for you both!!

Please give the Dalley a big, big hug from me. Hope you're having a fab time.

Love you lots.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

Oh WOW WOW WOW!

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! THAT IS SUCH WONDERFUL NEWS. I AM BESIDE MYSELF WITH EXCITEMENT HERE!

LOVE YOU SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH XXX

10:53 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I feel this needs to be conservative and restrained as your blog may explode due to all the excitement your swelling belly is causing.

Now Tony and Dorothia can focus there prayers on someone else.

(Please Lord NOT ME!!!!)

Wish I could give you guys a big hug. it really is the most smashing of news.
Love you
L
xxxx

11:21 AM  
Blogger Mimo said...

Wonderful!!! Congratulations!!!!
Yep, it's good to start the multiplying at one's own home :)
Very happy for you, Adele!! Wonderful news!!

Love Mimosa

1:55 PM  
Blogger sLeEpY*~*sArAh said...

Wow!!! That's so great! A fellow Preggers!
It's so funny I read your blog and could relate to everything! I'm in love with anything potato right now - hate sugary things (which is crazy for me) but I'm told that when you crave sugar it's a girl and when it's salty or sour it's a boy - Hey that's what ehy're telling me over here!

I'm sorry you have morning sickness, I know from 2 months worth of experience that it's not fun at all.

Adele I think you will make the best mom ever!!! And hopefully you'll come up with lots of stories for your babe, and then pass them onto me!!!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

Just knew that it had to happen sometime while in NZ...I tell you it must be all the fresh air...or the fact that you really do not have that much to do over there...Congratulations I very very happy for you

2:18 PM  
Blogger Andrew G said...

many, many, many congrats!

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Up the duff.....Ah Adele I'm soooooo excited for you and Dave!!!!! About the no epidural thing,... ha ha (smirk) you can do it, your tough...I am so glad I found your blog.... I will be stalking you now...simply because i miss you! Tell Dave I miss and love him too!! Now Melis and I have to come, seriously.
Love,
Danielle

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home