Monday, February 20, 2006

Strange things happen when Sarah is around....

Today after only a few short hours to prepare myself for the exertion (3 hours) Sarah and I went into town.

Sidenote:
I find sitting up first thing in the morning particularly time consuming. The other day I spent about 15 minutes trying to sit up without, er, doing the toilet-bowl two-step, and just when I was perched on the edge of the bed, Dave in an amorous moment came in the room and tried to playfully throw me back onto the bed (is this tmi?). Well let me tell you I wasn't going to let that set me back 15 minutes...so I clung to his arm like a limpet and stayed upright. A small triumph...but an important one, I think you'll agree.

Ok, back to today.

Within seconds of leaving our parked car we had two occurrences of what I shall call 'The Dalley Factor'.

Firstly we came to a busy intersection (well...you know...Taupo-busy, we're not talking the 427 here).

On the other side of the road was a disabled chap who had been waiting for some time to cross. He was in one of those motorised wheelchairs and looked to be in quite a state - his limbs were flailing somewhat.

Anyway this poor guy had been sitting there waiting for the traffic to ease, with no success. Until the Dalley Factor.

As soon as she approached the pavement edge, the cars screeched to a halt and the (male) drivers waved us across in a merry, road-safety-rule-breaking kind of way....thus providing the handicapped man a chance to also cross the road.

Moral of the story. Handicapped people should always go out with a dashing long-legged companion.....stuff the guide dogs.

(Not literally - I'm not a big fan of taxidermy.)

Within seconds of crossing the road, Sarah tripped on her flip flop and was mildy thrown forward....but righted herself immediately. No harm done.

Except that a chinese man started hopping up and down in distress and chasing us down the street shouting "Is she alright? Are you alright?..." and other sentiments that I couldn't understand but that were expressing sincere and heartfelt concern. Almost as if she had just nearly decapitated herself...rather than stumble on her flip flop.

I've never had a man chase me down the street trying to find out if I was ok after tripping.

It's the Dalley Factor I tell you.

Strange things happen - to men - when Sarah is around.

Ok, I'm off for a lie down.

(Can I just mention that the highlight of the day has been a phone call from Lynley? What a joy.....)

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

she's a babe. That disabled chap must have thought all his christmassies had arrived a foxy chick on each arm!

love you
xxx

11:43 AM  
Blogger A.J. said...

I have seen the "Dalley Factor" first hand on many occasions..... These poor men don't stand a chance really!

3:28 PM  
Blogger s@bd said...

I SO KNOW the Dalley factor.

And as for the 'tripping' thing: She's not allowed to have brains, beauty, a fabulous accent, legs-to-die-for AND perfect coordination. It just wouldn't be right.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home