Monday, March 06, 2006

Bethlehem 2 - The Return of the Census

I've just been whiling away the evening completing the NZ Census.

Yeah they have these national census things every 5 years and you have to hire a donkey and go back to the small town you were born in. If you're pregnant (which, duh, I am - where have you been?) you have to sleep in a stable. But you do get your own star which is nice.

Actually now Augustus Caesar is out of the way they let you fill the census forms in on-line. And let me tell you if you've moved between 2 countries, neither of which you were born in, neither of which you were educated in...and you've changed your job from volunteer at a church to being a freelancer working for UK client plus being another ministry volunteer in another country, WELL, it's pretty darn difficult to answer the questions. Strangely they seem to arrange the forms for people who pretty much stick to a normal job. WEIRD.

I spoke to a good friend today on the phone (for 77 minutes) who has been through the joys of labour. I mean child labour, not the UK political party. And by child labour I don't mean she employs underage filipinos to wash her socks. I MEAN she has given birth.

Anyway, she let me into the secret that it was SO unbelievably painful she was actually writhing and screaming, SCREAMING "JESUS, HELP ME" at the top of her lungs in the delivery room.

And this is someone I would consider like WAY tougher than me when it comes to pain.

Anyway, despite that I came away from the conversation much encouraged and excited about the baby.

No I did.

No, really. It's nice to talk to someone about it - makes it seem more real that it's a baby in there.

Ok, been staring at this screen way too long - yeah I even managed to do some work today. Speaking of staring at screens...sorry that The Fabulist has been out of action for so long. I've been feeling very Non Fabulous but do plan to get back on the storywriting pony soon.

7 Comments:

Blogger fi said...

i have been without an internet connection for nearly 3 weeks - i have had a glimpse of hell: the isolation; the torture of telephone 'helpdesks'; the horror!! still i'm back now and have spent a happy time thhis morning catching up on what i've missed. i also notice a marked increase in number of comments - you resorting to bribery now?

12:23 PM  
Blogger Andrushka said...

BAH! Un-Fabulous? Your blog says otherwise! Always a fabulous read, in the gloomy, desperate, depths of Canadian winter,

5:37 PM  
Blogger s@bd said...

Yes. Yes, it IS painful. And all the stinking breathing in the world isn't going to mitigate that kind of pain.

And I know breathing, baby. I teach it FOR A LIVING.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Robbie Green said...

Hi Adele & Dave
CONGRATUMALATIONS!!!
Heard via the Cranleigh grapevine (well my mum - Dave's mum!) of the good news. Nice to hear of more irresponsible people joining the "how can I be a good parent" training scheme. Think we'll all be on it for a long long time...but it sure is fun. Also heard about your BLOGGING so thought I'd drop in and say hello.
Lots of love from Chilly Bournemouth
Rob, Jo, Lauren & James

7:13 PM  
Blogger Adele Richards said...

Fi - what???!! 3 weeks sans blogs? That is too much. I see though that the suffering has catapulted you into making a comment.....no bribery needed in your case!

Andrushka - Aw shucks.

S - good point. And I've always struggled with the whole breathing from your diaphragm thingy anyway...

Rob & famille - how nice of you to drop by! Yep you guys got a headstart on the rest of us with the kids thing. How old are they now? 16 and 18?

8:45 PM  
Blogger Andrushka said...

Well said S@bd. Imagine If I read "S@bd" as "Sinbad"? Becuase I did.
I feel so dyslexic-like these days...

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Laura said...

very impressed with your spelling of Immelda.

I'm saving up

xxxx

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home