Sunday, May 21, 2006

It's a girl! (We think)





Introducing Little Miss Richards - currently residing in Womb with a View. (Don't ask what the view is)

So we had our 20 week scan (that's 5 months for the mathematically challenged amongst you - Jason W I am talking to you) and hoped that our offspring would not be crossing their legs, so that we could discern the sex of the baby. And indeed she cooperated. Although she was trying to hide her face behind her hands. Wrong end sweetie, but nice try!

We started with an exciting tour of her kidneys, stomach and bladder.

I was slightly alarmed when the scanner lady (radiologist/radiographer...I forget which) pronounced that her stomach was a black hole....but it took me only minutes (long minutes) to work out that she meant the stomach appears as a black hole.

I found myself having very strange thoughts as the scanner lady roamed around searching for organs. They went something like this:

One kidney! We've found a kidney people! Phew! At least she has one. Ok that's a good start.
Two kidneys? Oh good, one spare. Excellent.

Fingers? We've detected 'some' fingers'. Some is good. We can work with some. You can pick up a pen with some fingers.
Oh? 5 on each hand. Yep that's handy....(arf arf).

Bizarre considering how devastated I'd be if she was really found to be without some of those little bits and bobs. I already know it's weird so no need to fulminate. Just goes to show how illogical I am when smeared in jelly and lying in a dimly lit room.

Yep so I was pretty convinced we were having a boy...and I think I'd convinced most other people....so it took me a few moments for my brain to catch up with the latest plot development. SHE'S A GIRL!!!!

Needless to say it didn't take me long to get very excited about the thought of having a daughter.

I took myself off to Wharewaka Point which is this stunning spot where the wind whips in from the snow-capped mountains and the lake crashes onto the beach. (Also the spot that compelled Miss Dalley to throw both arms out wide and yell BEAUTY at the top of her lungs every time we went there).

I sat there and looked at the waves and thought about my daughter and cried a bit. And felt very glad. And stupidly blessed. And imagined that this scene was a picture of her spirit - wild and beautiful and breathtaking.




Then I went back to the school and ate soup.

Of course they can't be 100% sure that they've got the sex right....so we could be in for a last minute change of plan. Still, at least I know which section of Pumpkin Patch to gravitate to now. It'll surprise you all to hear that I'm rather keen on the little girls clothes in turquoise. Strange that.

Meanwhile, we are still practising our impending parenthood on Harley (the cat). I think we've found a really useful technique for calminga fretful cat/child. Do you think that I should really tell Supernanny....?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Stu said...

Hi Adele,

Amazing to see you growing..... a bump.... very cool. it is so exciting. We are going on Thursday for one of those 3D scans to see if we have a husband for Miss Richards or a close friend. I can't wait. You are so lucky that she co-operated with the scan. We ahve tried twice so far but to no avail. If we have a boy we will have to collaborate on the choice of names so that they work well together.

Very impressed buy the vocab........

love,
Stu

2:55 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank goodness a tummy!!!!! If you're little girl is a fifth as cute as the puddy cat you're well blessed!
x

3:44 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

I am so happy to see a tummy on you it really makes me smile...i am really happy that you are having a girl...she will have dave wrapped around her little finger and i cannot wait to see all the little clothes you are going to buy for her

4:37 PM  
Blogger A.J. said...

If I knew how to fulminate (or even what it is) I might but as you have asked us not to I shall refrain (I hope).

Nice bumps...err... bump I mean! (me cheeky monkey :-)

1:29 AM  
Blogger weegeemcschuler said...

OHmygosh, Adelrama......your body has at last caught up with the news that you're pregnant - sorry, I don't mean to dillute your beige coloured food season......
You look great - absolutely gorgeous and I'm so glad that you are breeding a fellow shopaholic, turquoise, Starbucks fan :0) Woopie, Adele, next time you're in North America, you HAVE to check out Pottery Barn Kids - oh so cute for wee tikes :0)
Yippee, we're so happily freaked out by this new curve on the journey!!

3:44 AM  
Blogger Ash said...

Gorgeous photos - all os them and absolutely great news Adele.

I love what you wrote about your daughter's spirit being wild, breathtaking and beautiful. That's so prophetically cool!

Love you loads,
Ash x

5:17 AM  
Blogger A.J. said...

fulminate |ˈfoŏlməˌnāt; ˈfəl-| verb [ intrans. ]
express vehement protest : all fulminated against the new curriculum.
• poetic/literary explode violently or flash like lightning : thunder fulminated around the house.
• [usu. as adj. ] Medicine ( fulminating) (of a disease or symptom) develop suddenly and severely : fulminating appendicitis.

5:25 AM  
Anonymous Loz said...

Okay, I don't know what's going on. I tried to post a comment before, but didn't get through to this screen. I got another screen that asked for my friend's email address - and I didn't know what to put in - so I made one up - and that obviously failed!

Anyway - enough of that - I'm here! I've caved. I've read your blogs, they're great (of course) and I vowed I wouldn't leave a message unless I could think of something witty to put. But I wanted to prove that I'm here (cos I'm still pinching myself in disbelief!)

Anyway - was very glad to read in a recent email after your scan that you're drinking loads of orange juice. It makes me think that a day does finally come (rousing chorus begins of 'There is a day') when I'll start fancying food. Am still being sick for Britain (cos I'm 12 weeks preggie for anyone who has got this far into my very dully ramblings and is wondering what on earth I'm going on about...)

This has turned into more of a bog, than a comment. Hmmm... Del, maybe you're right. Maybe I need to get myself one of those blog things.

Anyway - this is far too long. So I'm going to go.

Love you
Loz
x

10:00 AM  
Blogger s@bd said...

stu: I ALREADY HAVE THE HUSBAND FOR MISS RICHARDS. ahem. And you should have a boy, because I have a wife for him.

Wait a minute ... did I just offer to marry BOTH of my children to Kiwis? weird.

1:28 AM  
Blogger Charlene said...

Adele-
Congrats! If I haven't mentioned before, Charlene is a very beautiful name for a little girl! :)

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home