Thursday, June 22, 2006

Dusting off

Well I've left the book now for about 18 months. That's long enough to lie fallow don't you think?

When I refer to the book. I mean THE book. The one I've been wanting to write/talking about writing since the year dot. The one that I did actually write in a flurry of activity during a couple of months....18 months ago.

It's a children's book...well, for the Tweens category...sort of 9-13 year olds type of deal. And it's a mystery. And it's not "Christian" per se.

Anyway it was very fun to write - after the initial hour it took me to sit down and start writing EVERY time. (Q. How many cups of tea can you make while procrastinating? I don't know, let me put the kettle on and I'll get back to you).

And I kept meaning to get around to editing it so that it's fit for human consumption. (Some chapters are still rambling, stream of consciousness outpourings rather than anything that makes sense to a sentient being).

Of course once you've left it for a while you don't want to pick it up again in case it is the biggest load of drivel ever known to mankind. And scarier still, what if you finish it and then you send it to publishers and they think it is the biggest load of drivel ever known to mankind?

I guess you just write another one. Or post it on the internet or something.

Anyway, I've finally done it. I've got it out of the cupboard where its 88 pages and 60,000 words were gathering dust. I've just read the first 3 chapters....and hmmm....not bad. I can see some things I need to do differently. But there are some sentences that I even like.

So here's my plan: finish book before baby is born. That gives me 3 months. Do-able don't you think?

In the meantime I'm trying to crank up the old creativity levels by writing some more short stories n stuff. So hopefully The Fabulist won't be a barren wasteland as it has been for the last 5 months.

I'm toying with the idea of sending off a few of the stories as well....just to see what kind of response I get. They're kind of weird though don't you think? Are they children's stories? Or what are they exactly? Should I send them to a Children's publisher? You guys aren't children and yet you seem to quite like some of them. Huh. Your thoughts on a postcard please.

Ummm yes, so if any of you are related to a publisher/literary agent/JK Rowling....or have any ideas about how I should proceed from here - let me know!

I guess I'm trying to face up to the fact that if I admitted to myself what I really love doing, and what I really would love to do in life..and what my wildest dreams would be....they would all come down to writing books. Wild, weird and hugely popular books, of course. I think I can manage the first 2 elements of that.

Um yeah. So that's where I'm at. Scared. Excited. Terrified of failure. Enjoying the ride. And needing some ideas on what to do with what I write.

What do you think?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

all i can say is "go for it!" - we all love your stories (tho' that might say more about the sort of people you attract as friends...?)

fi

2:34 PM  
Blogger weegeemcschuler said...

Adele, I've ALWAYS LUUURVED, LOVED and ADORED your stories...afterall you were the feature of our wedding (after moi of course 0 but it HAD to be that way you understand, the Bride cannot be upstaged although you came acceptable oh so close :0) Iam DELIGHTED that you are putting the finsihing touches to your book - WHEN it is published, we WILL stock it (no not stalk..although being as good as you are, we may stalk...no no sorry, that's been "done" already in your life :0) The other stories...YES publish..don't know wher, some are definately kids' stories and others are more just adult (I think??) ever checked out the site storypeople.com - LOVE it - reminds me of sentences of Adeleism :0)
Hugs to you, Dave and the wee 'un

4:16 AM  
Blogger weegeemcschuler said...

There are lives I can imagine without children but none of them have the same laughter & noise. ..... or...
Are you a princess? I said & she said I'm much more than a princess, but you don't have a name for it yet here on earth (this one is my joint personal favourite...check out Mr Right :0)

You see a little Adeleism but still not half as fabulous as Adele :0)

4:19 AM  
Blogger s@bd said...

I really, REALLY don't know what I'm talking about but here's my 2 cents:

the fabulist material reminds me of fables. good ones.

Sooo ... stories for children with points that adults get.

no?

8:17 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

Hey Adele,

I had a break for a while from blogging and reading friends' blogs as I was ill for a few weeks, so it was nice to be able to read all your posts that I had missed.

Hope you are enjoying your new home, glad that the move went smoothly, and if I had the money,

I'd come and visit. I'm so excited about your book. I'm sure that publishers would love it. Just send it to every publisher you can find. I loved reading all your stories and all your posts and you always make me laugh or think or evoke an emotion.

Lots of love,
Ash x mwah x

3:50 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Beautiful and clever.....

If you ever want to write about disaffective Yuff I'm your girl.

But, really, I'm getting through it.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home