Sunday, June 25, 2006

On Becoming a Behemoth...

Yo yo yo, all my sistas in the house say yo, cos, word up, dudes - I am down with the Baby Phat.

(Strange that I've never considered a career in rap....)

Or for those of you who prefer a slightly more logical introduction to today's subject matter - the word on the street is I have increased in size.

Well I am 26 weeks and 2 days preggers; which is officially 2 days into...THE THIRD TRIMESTER.

Dah. Dah. Daaaaah.

Ok and in normal, non-pregnancy speak that means I am 6 months preggers and in the home straight.

The third trimester is supposed to be the one where things get a bit lively again (first trimester can be yuck...second trimester supposed to be fun, energetic....er, really?...ok it was fun but...).

Yes this is where all your internal organs get squished up under your armpits as the baby fills in the spaces they normally abide minding their own business. You know, just processing food, whoosing bile around and cleansing stuff. Yep your everyday organ activity.

By the way did you know that the placenta counts as an extra organ? I've flipping grown a new organ in the last 6 months! This is what I remind Dave if he queries why I look exhausted after mooching round the house all day writing things. "I've grown a new organ...it's very tiring!"

I mean imagine your sense of accomplishment if you'd grown a new kidney...or liver or something. It's not to be sniffed at.

Meanwhile in the third trimester my blood flow increases again till there's almost 25% extra blood in my body than normal. This apparently accounts for general puffiness. (And not the 3 bars of chocolate I am eating a day? Excellent.)

Also everything has gone soft in preparation for child birth. Including my brain. Yes all these lovely pregnancy hormones are softening my ligaments and just about anything they darn well like. Perhaps my teeth are now made of rubber. ( Should I test them out on another chocolate bar...?)

Ooh and my skin is stretching - it'll be by an extra 1-2 square feet by the end. Mmmm...such nice images...all this extra skin and blood...and nowhere to put them. I should really buy myself a nice new bag.

They say that in the TT (third trimester) you might have trouble breathing, eating and not weeing every 15 minutes. (Cos your lungs and stomach are all squished up, and your baby is bouncing on your bladder).

That's something to look forward to then! Of course not every woman feels all these side effects.

(Are these the ones who drink a bottle of vodka for breakfast and sleep under the table for the rest of the day?)

Anyway...I'm feeling fine so far (TWO days into it)...apart from some indigestion and the odd leg cramp during the night.

So this leads me to the photos. Yes by popular demand...the bump is back....I even tried on 2 different outfits to show you the full effect. (I look bigger in some things than others).






Oh and I've been snooping about on the web this week garnering top tips for baby equipment. So yesterday Dave and I took a 2 hour drive to Tauranga to the Baby Factory there. We spent a very decisive 4 hours there picking out various items of a highly technical nature. I knew enough to ask "Does it have a five point harness?" And "is it fully reclining?"
To which the lady replied, "Madam, it's a baby bath...."

So we picked out a cot...stroller...bassinette (goes in stroller)...car seat (capsule type one)...bottles & steriliser...fun playmat thing and a cute bed cover. Cute bed cover is turquoise and lime green...with large turquoise donkey on it, saying "yeeehaa". Note the turquoise theme and 'going againt type casting' lack of pink. How radical am I?

After this frankly exhausting experience (but fun too)...we drove down the road to Mount Manganui. At every point I mentioned to Dave if Sarah (Dalley) and I had been there. Or sat there. Or eaten there. As we spent a couple of days there during her visit in February. Sarah I particularly pointed out to Dave the gas station in Putaruru where we stopped on the way back...and you came face to face with your extreme sunburn. He also wanted to see the spot on the beach where you received the sunburn.

Another fabulous thing about Mount M (other than that it is THE SEA and I went there with SARAH)...is that it has a Starbucks. And probably the cleanest Starbucks I've ever been in. So I was absolutely forced to have a 1 shot decaff Grande latte and some carrot cake. I am glad to report that my daughter has excellent taste. She woke up and kicked me repeatedly throughout my stay in Starbucks. I took this as a sign of her approval.

Anyway, after we got all the stuff home we laid it all around the lounge while we tackled the 83 different adjustments you can make to the snazzy all terrain tri-mode stroller we bought. Turning around we discovered that the bassinette already had an inhabitant. Three guesses. And don't freak out - we won't be letting the cat in the baby's stuff again. (Although we were quite tempted to try out a 5 point harness on him.....)

9 Comments:

Blogger chirobiro said...

Lovely photo's , thanks for posting. How tiny are you???? what a neat little bump! (thats Harely by the way !), and your tummy looks neat too. Lots of luck for the TT ,(sounds a bit like ET !!!, or perhaps TT stands for "terra -terrestrial"???

lots of love
fee
xxx

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Checked out the pram very cool I'm not sure your first born will allow the new baby in it. I bet you zoom around the house frightenning him don't you? Or am I mixing you up with Dave?
Snogs
L
x

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry the anon is Laura from Bournemouth. Shouldn't be here really at work and trying to bang this out before bed.
Love ya pickle
L
x

11:12 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

Beautiful bump and beautiful mum!

3:03 AM  
Blogger s@bd said...

gorgeous, my dear

simply gorgeous.

and you look good, too. (sorry, couldn't resist)

3:32 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

Love the pictures of you.. love love... you look so hot.. what a hot pregnant woman you are!! : ) to be expected of course... : )
love pram... very richards style...
: )
mwah kisses to you
xxx

9:52 PM  
Blogger Vernie said...

Being a bloke, wouldn't know what to say about the bump, big bump, little bump, what's the right thing so say, so I'll avoid the issue, and comment on your house instead.

Is your house very, very tall, or is the house really really big, or do you live in a tower block, you seem alot higher than your neighbours?

9:54 AM  
Blogger Charlie said...

it's like adding on an extra room to a house...albeit a petite, pretty, little house. women have their own version of bravery. scares the hell outa me.

3:28 AM  
Blogger Danielle Renee said...

Ohhh You are so cute!!!! I finally started my blog :) Now I'll be all up in your business.
I LOVE YOU!!!!

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home