Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Retail Therapy

Yesterday, mostly I read a book.

It was "One Good Turn" by Kate Atkinson. (I would create a link to it...but I am too lazy. Plus those of you who are reading this at work can now waste an extra 2 mins by searching for it on Amazon. See how considerate I am?)

Kate is one of my favourite authors. (Along with the heady company of Dickens, Peter Hoeg, Lawrence Sterne, Margaret Atwood, Wilkie Collins....oh and too many others to mention)(Which, yes, means I have forgotten their names).

Kate usually writes something 'they' call magical realism. Which probably goes along way to explain why I like her so much. Unless the term 'magical realism' means nothing to you.

In which case let me attempt to elucidate by example:

"Roger pulled the car over. He was nearly out of petrol. A large nearby tree bent over and lay on the ground. "Why?" It groaned to itself."

Yes, a kind of realistic book where barking mad things happen for no good reason.

Anyway, the latest Kate Atkinson is not like this. It is a crime novel. It is good. (Although I prefer more singing trees and airplanes that turn into oranges. And dogs that are in love with the goat from next door). The last line was my favourite bit. It made me smile.

But this is all by the by. Although I will mention that for the majority of my reading time I was kneeling on the floor leaning forward up against the bed in a most uncomfortable position - that in theory helps the baby twizzle round to the right position. Hum. Doesn't seem to be working so far. (But see, just see how noble I am??? Can you see it?)

The point of this post was REALLY to tell you about going into town AFTER the book reading, but as usual I got carried away talking about myself. Er, although the rest of this post is also...talking about myself. Surprise! That's kindof what a blog is though, right?

Anyway, I went into town, had coffee with Mel from antenatal class - who had her baby SIX WEEKS ago. SIX. SIX. SIX.
(Sorry, started banging head on wall)
Then I went straight to the shoeshop and bought myself these:


Mmmmm. Drool. Drool. I had to get the girl in the shop to tie the laces for me when I tried them on cos I couldn't do it myself without giving myself a kniption. And a kniption is not something you want to have in public.

Rather than ask her to untie and remove them for me (and also peel me a grape while she was at it) I just wore them home. Admiring them all the way. Yet another Adele impractical shoe purchase - what with the green suede and the gold material. But purhlease -they are so pretty.


By the way, did you know this?:

Mona Lisa pregnancy theory mooted

The scans can look beneath old paint and varnish
The famous smile on Leonardo Da Vinci's Mona Lisa could be because she is pregnant or had just had a baby, research suggests.
Canadian scientists used laser and infrared scans to produce a 3D image of the painting.

This allowed details beneath layers of paint to be seen - including a gauzy dress then associated with pregnant or new mothers.

9 Comments:

Blogger chirobiro said...

GAuzy dres??? hmm methinks is this the self same bit of nothing that you were photographed in looking dreamy?????

xxx

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Andy G said...

Hi Adele just clocked in to check on progress...what still no baby?! I can't imagine the offspring of Dave Richards being late!

Fab shoes though...do they do a men's version?

Keep up the good work and forget the silly positions...just make sure you're comfortable...the rest is old wives tales used to distract you from the fact that you are, and will be, in an increasing amount of pain...retail therapy may be good...we went to a furniture shop and Kristen came out wihtin 24 hours!

Chin up old girl.

Andy x

p.s. Tell Dave we want a piccie of him in the silly theatre outfit...and I don't mean the thespian kind!

11:15 PM  
Blogger sLeEpY*~*sArAh said...

Ok, I love Love LOVE those shoes!!!

You've inspired me to go buy a new pair for myself!

11:48 PM  
Blogger A.J. said...

Nice shoes? What size are your feet? Perhaps I shall try and steal them on my visit! (oh you are not supposed to announce those sort of intentions are you!?)

4:02 AM  
Blogger weegeemcschuler said...

shoes are so totally you - just glad to hear the shop assistant didn't make you lift your leg and plop it on her counter so she could scan the sticker on the sole of the shoe - yes that'd would've been wuite the event :0)
And yes ai did check you blog to see if baby r had made a break for the light :0)
smooch

4:42 AM  
Anonymous sarah Dalley said...

FABULOUS SHOES..

Of course they needed to be worn home. And it is very important for pregnant women and new mums to have comfortable footwear. Very important.
And most impressed at devouring of Kate. Yay for reading books.

5:30 AM  
Anonymous caroline<> said...

did you get a double wolf whistle on the way home?:P Hot mamma to be walking down the street & she is in hot shoes...

2:51 PM  
Blogger s@bd said...

Us Canadians are cool.

And I almost bought those VERY shoes ... when I went, instead, for a pair of excellent chocolate-y brown ones that have no practical value whatsoever. They're from Town Shoes and I love them.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

9 mnths gone and still has the strength to buy shoes. I couldn't be prouder *sniff*

By the way I've just started reading the Gormangaust trilogy (sorry about the spelling) now that is an odd world.

L
x

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home