Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I worship the ground she doesn't walk on

Before I had Honour I had basically no clue about babies or children. I was the dimwit who would look at a baby and cooo, "How old?" thinking to myself - 'she's about 6 months old'.

Then the reply would come: "She's 6, goes to school and bakes better gingerbread than you, you child-ignorant freak"

Clueless. Sans clue. Couldn't BUY a clue.

It's therefore somewhat weird to discover that I have become a new breed of freakoid who looks at a 6 month old baby and is AMAZED to see that child use a pincer grip to pick up a raisin. Or, "Wow," I'll gasp, "he LOOKS TO SEE where dropped toys have gone! That's incredible!"

Aaah, the tiny, tiny things that become truly fascinating. And of course when it's YOUR child, it's even more exciting when they do something new. And let me clarify that for you, when I say exciting I'm talking: 'Einstein discovering the theory of relativity' exciting, 'Newton-the apple-and-gravity' exciting, 'that bloke in the bath and Eureka' exciting.

I think the freaky thing is that you spend, what?, about 12 hours a day constantly in the company of this wee person and they do the same things over and over again....drooling, rolling about, giggling, trying to sit up. (I'm talking about Honour, not Dave - just to clarify)

And then one day, with no warning they stand up, dress themselves, and fix themselves an espresso.

Or, in Honour's case just suddenly works out how to get herself into the sitting position from any other. Previously she could sit up if I sat her up, but once she rolled over onto her front or back she couldn't get back up again. Hence I would spend a lot of my day responding to her whingeing and sitting her back up again.

But yesterday morning she worked out how to push herself up. Within seconds she was pivoting all over the room and pushing herself back up to sitting, pivoting, rolling, commando crawling then bouncing back up again. It was truly amazing the speed with which she had entirely changed the way she moves.

And then (lest the excitement kill you) she pulled herself up on the edge of the lounge chair. With no help she pulled herself up and stood there - looking as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

My baby, who only seconds ago (it seems) could hardly hold her head up herself...just stood up.

And that's why I'm going to purchase a unicycle and leave it casually lying around.

Cos you never know, one day she might just hop up on it and do a turn around the room.

What? It could happen.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

photos and/or video please:)
chatty

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Kristy said...

Is there any German in her at all? If there's any German in her at all the whole unicycle thing will be a breeze...

2:13 PM  
Blogger Adele Richards said...

German? Hmm...well I guess we might be able to trace some back from the Anglo-Saxon line.

But, pray tell, why are Germans good at unicycling?

This is most intriguing.....

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your spot is hilarious! i am sitting here laughing quietly to myself. Honour is very cute. Erica put me onto your site at high recommendation. I'm her sister, Julia.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Adele Richards said...

Hello Julia, very nice to meet you out here in cyberspace. I like your shiny silver spacesuit.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Poppy now fetches the milk from the fridge, and puts it away again, Amazing! (she also splashes her hands in the dogs water bowl, not quite so impressive, I think she likes the way it results in her being suddenly scooped up and taken to wash her hands with the squirty soap.)

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home