Saturday, July 07, 2007

Let's hope she takes after her father in this department

It's come time to confess.

I've toyed with the idea of letting the cat out of the bag about this, many times before. But somehow lost my nerve.

But now, I can't carry the secret any more - it's too heavy.

It's.....it's.....(gulp)...it's that I've been wantonly inflicting my musical taste on my wee, defenceless, earmuff-less daughter.

Now when I say 'taste' I could be stretching a point, well according to Dave 'you just changed key mid-song' Richards anyway.

(Of course my full name is Adele 'yeah, well what IS a key, anyway?' Richards.)

Now one of the main issues (according to Dave "Smirk, you've just changed key three times" Richards) is my quite outstanding ability to listen to the same album, over and over again.

For an example, when I bought my car in November 2005 I placed several CDs in the CD player.

(Well, actually I didn't know I had a CD player till my parents visited in February 06 and my Dad found it under my front passenger seat. So I guess it wasn't until Feb 06 that I put my Cds in there.)

The CDs were a fine choice I think you will agree - Coldplay (excellent start), James Blunt (not bad) and, um, The Footie Anthems Album.

In its defence, The Footie Anthems Album has one of the best songs known to man on it - 'Vindaloo' with classic lyrics like:

'May I introduce you please, to a lump of Cheddar Cheese, knit one, perl one'
'Me and me mum and me dad and me gran are off to Waterloo, me and me mum and me dad and me gran with a bucket of Vindaloo"

Anyway, Alyn & AJ came to visit us in March 06 and were transported about in my car to these aural delights.

They came again in November 06 (that's 8 months later) and the same albums were in my car.

THAT's how long I can listen to the same albums over and over again.

So, as this should be a full confession, I think I should now list the main musical influences that I have subjected Honour to, both in utero and ex utero.

1) Coldplay (X and Y and A Rush of Blood to the Head - over and over and over and over and over and over....)

2) Bruce Springsteen (BOOORRRNNNNN in the USA, I was BOOOOORRRNNN in the USA)

3) Footie Anthems (We're going to score one more than youuuuuu)

4) Laura Woodley (I need a hug on the inside)

5) The Black Eyed Peas (my humps, my humps, my lovely lady lumps)

6) Russell Watson (AMore MUUUSSSica)

7) Apostolic Prayers (harp and bowl)

8) Gwen Stefani (hoo-hoooo, hooo, hooooo)

9) Maroon 5 (and it really makes me wonder)

10) Baby Einstein - Mozart (twinkle, twinkle, twiddly, twiddly)


'Eclectic' doesn't even begin to describe this train wreck of a selection, I know, I know.

In my defence, her main influence has been Coldplay.....AND I didn't get out my Spice Girls album.

You may now ascribe my punishment, report me to child services, suggest an alternative list of influences, or just lie down on the floor and weep.

(I won't notice, I'll be leaping around the lounge to Don't Phunk with my Heart)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

book her into therapy. Now.
(i think you'll find james blunt to have been particularly traumatising...)
fi

12:31 PM  
Blogger Adele Richards said...

Haven't we all? Come on James, cheer up!

9:36 PM  
Blogger hotdog said...

As a music therapist i am probably more acutely aware than most of the serious effect music can have on a child in or ex utero. I therefore must ask you to stop these heinous acts immediately. There is no telling what your daughters psychological profile will look like if you continue there acts of cruelty

11:57 PM  
Blogger The Fast & the Fabulous said...

I would like to point out that all of those cds were still in "Sydney" in February 2007 when I came to visit. And I ask you, have they been changed yet? Great taste dear friend.. I was lovin listening to them!

3:07 AM  
Blogger Adele Richards said...

Thank you, dear hotdog, I shall heed your warning...but only if you reveal your identity. Who are you, pray tell?

Also, Sarah, as of July 2007, the same CDs are still in my car Sydney. Thank you for your applause.

3:42 AM  
Anonymous tonya hurter said...

don't worry, there is hope for you yet if you are listening to Gwen Stefani! you know you can download music off itunes for only 99 cents a song...i'll send you some of my personal faves.

4:00 AM  
Anonymous Queen Erica of the Dodgy Paintbrush. said...

Now I can come out of the closet and reveal that yes, I too enjoy the Black Eyed Peas. They're SO DAMN CATCHY. Along with Pink, Gwen and Justin T, they were my mid afternoon booty shake in the office (much to the despair of my co-workers who would howl with disdain as I happily kitsched along to 'Humps'). I say more power to you and your rancid music.
Peace out, G. Word.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see nothing wrong in listening to the same again and again

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home